The other day I was deciding what to have for dinner, and the options were pretty slim. All my “dinner” meat was in the freezer and I was feeling a bit lazy. I did have a bit of leftover quinoa and peas from the night before (plus a few bacon strips from breakfast), so it hit me; why not make Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers for dinner, using my leftovers?!
Just like that, a delicious meal was born. I was so happy with how they turned out, and can foresee this becoming my new go-to healthy meal of choice.
I realize that all of you may not have cooked quinoa and peas laying around – so I’ve added a recipe below for you to give this deliciousness a try.
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings (I only wanted to make three, so I cut the ingredients in half)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup frozen peas, cooked (you could also use corn kernels – but I didn’t have any)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 stripes of cooked of bacon (omit for vegetarian option)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, peas, tomatoes, cheese, caramelized onions, garlic, onion salt, chili powder, and pepper, to taste.
- Fill each bell pepper with the quinoa mixture. Place on baking dish, right side up. Sprinkle the top of each pepper with additional cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through (about 25-30 minutes).
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Do you like this post? Discover more of my Food and Recipe blog posts.